We all love Dr. Oz for his wise words and advice. Sometimes, medication prescribed by a physician simply does not cut it. Results are sometimes not seen and take time. Let us not mention all the side effects that these might cause on you. Dr. Oz explains that the reason why most of these medications do not work is because they only target one aspect of the whole anxiety picture.
The following is a list of five natural remedies he considers make wonders to the treatment of anxiety. So sit up and take note.
- St. John´s wort. This is a versatile remedy and is probably the most studied plant. Studies have suggested that this plant is great for treating depression in patients. It does this by acting on the body and the brain. It is known to help digestion, it has antiviral properties, is an anti-inflammatory, and helps thyroid function.
- Saffron. This plant has been used to help the digestive system heal. Since most of the neurotransmitters (chemical compound that helps relay instructions between neurons) are produced in the digestive tract, this would explain why saffron has been shown to lift one’s mood. The petal is expensive but you can still use capsules from the stigma which have the same soothing effects and at a lower price.
- 5-HTP is effective against anxiety with depression. This is a natural amino acid the body uses to stimulate the production of serotonin, the hormone of happiness. This substance provides the body with more raw material for it to produce more serotonin. The correct dose for this one would be 100 mg twice a day.
- SAMe is recommended for depression caused by aging and pain. S-adenosylmethionine is another naturally occurring chemical substance based on the amino acid methionine. Most physicians love it since it can produce a positive mood change within days instead of weeks.
- Exercise and healthy eating is another sane way of beating anxiety according to Dr. Oz.